Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I feel so blessed.

That almost seems silly to write as I'm sitting here with a deformed chest covered with ice packs and mild pain, but in the midst of all of this (post surgery stuff, figuring out meds, where the kids will go, keeping track of the fluid in my drains, how I will shower, etc.), God has really opened my eyes to the amazing family and friends I have. Trust me, I know I am surrounded by great people, but when they shower you with flowers/gifts, stop by to check on you, drop off meals, offer to take your kids or take the kids, and cuddle up in bed next to you, you have a different outlook and view of your family and friends. I have not been very emotional about this surgery, but when it comes to my sweet friends and family, I get a little teary-eyed. God has given me a peace about everything and has really encouraged me and made me feel loved through my family and friends. And let me tell you, it is such a good feeling.......and I feel blessed.

These past couple of days have been days of figuring things out.
* Brian and i have mastered taking a shower--yes, I need his help to wash my hair and it is not the showering that most men want to help with. It probably looks quite comical. Here I am with a string around my neck with my drains attached and there's Brian, hanging over the top of the shower washing my hair. Oh the things you do for love!
* Kids' schedules. My sister has stepped in and helped with the boys whenever needed. And let me tell you, they don't really like staying at home anymore. They have too much fun with Auntie Heather and their cousins-and I love that!!
* Sleeping style. If I don't have it just right, I have a pain in my chest and get uncomfortable. So long to side sleeping. I have actually been sleeping in my glasses and it doesn't hurt (Brian has lost his job of taking my glasses off after I fall asleep). Brian did wake me up this morning saying, "Is that comfortable?" My head was hanging to the side and it didn't look good. Without missing a beat, I said, "NO!." and just readjusted and fell back to sleep. You don't have too many options when you have to sleep propped up on pillows on your back.
* Medications. Sweet Brian or shall I say, nurse Brian put together an Excel sheet for my meds....and thank goodness. I don't know how people take pills without writing it down. We started out strong our first night- Brian set his alarm for my pain pills which went off a couple of times during the night. Day 3 home, Brian asked if I could make it through the night without them. We are getting tired of waking up in the middle of the night, can you tell? And yes, I made it!!!

It has been great to see the boys again (in small doses--I don't have the energy yet). Today, Haddon was dragging his rocking chair up the stairs so he could "sit with mommy" (don't worry, Brian carried it all the way up). They also set up a stuffed animal recovery center in the room with me. It was so cute to watch as they brought in sheets, pillows and stuffed animals and carefully put them in their beds. The animals were definitely taken care of. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll put it on here. I love kids and the way they process things.

Thanks again for your prayers! It has gotten me through the worst part (I hope). : )

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you have such a wonderful support system Tammy! Gentle {{{hugs}}} coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to the party, but I appreciate your writing.
    Love,
    Cora

    ReplyDelete