Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Feeling Good....

Well, today is the 2nd day that I have a little more energy and feel like the pain is getting better. I can finally lift my arms above my head, pull shirts over my head (most of the time) and put dishes away. I even went back to work today. I know, it seems kind of fast, but I was going a little stir-crazy at home, plus I am only going to do about 10 hours this week. I'm still not able to drive--a little too painful under my arms on my sides and in the muscles by my armpits. So it was nice to get out of the house and get back into a semi-routine again. I was tired by the time our family drove home (we were all in the same building-so fun!), but felt good about everything I got done.

I had an appointment with my BS today and she was happy with my progress. She was amazed at how good I looked just under 2 weeks after the surgery. She told me the weight of my breasts (weird, I know), but it was interesting. They were different by 40 grams. Oh, the information you can learn about yourself and really, what does it matter. She also told me I am in the phase of swelling- usually 2-4 weeks after surgery. I'm praying I don't get more swollen--I'm not sure what I could fit into if I did. It was a great appointment and I left very encouraged. I walked away with a sheet of arm exercises and an appointment for the first week in June.

It has been interesting talking to friends and co-workers since my surgery. I think it is hard not to check out my chest, or lack there of, when you talk about it. Kind of makes me laugh. I have been trying to explain to Brian that I really have no connection to my chest anymore and you can find me flashing my friends whenever they want to see what it looks like. It kind of reminds me a science experiment. We hear all about mastectomies, but when you see it in person, it is so real and answers so many questions. And then I don't have to answer those questions. If others can learn from this, then I say- why not!

Well, I am off to bed. This has been a good day and I'm excited to see what tomorrow holds. Praying for it to get better and better each day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. We can totally relate to the simplicity and direct communication of showing somebody the site. We do the same with Leo's G-J tube. People are so mystified, and yet it becomes normal to us.

    ReplyDelete