Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Why are you doing this surgery?

I love this question and I hate it. I get this question quite a bit when I tell people what I'm about to do. What's great about it is that I have to rethink why I truly am doing this surgery and communicate it to someone who doesn't know my family history, the hundreds of dollars or more (more like a thousand) I spend on preventative testing a year and the statistics and encouragement I get to do the surgery from my doctors. The bummer thing about this question is you can immediately tell who thinks this is a drastic decision and maybe unnecessary. They give you a quick "wow" and an "I'm so sorry" look and don't give you much eye contact. It is very interesting. It sure helps you to be confident in the decision you've made and how you communicate it to others.

I have to admit, there are days when I struggle with how I could be one of the 40% who doesn't get breast cancer or how I should trust God. And then there are days when the slightest pain makes me think that I have cancer. It sure hasn't been fun. So, I can have a surgery that reduces my chances to almost nothing or live in fear thinking about WHEN I will have cancer. It sure isn't a fun place to be in and I'm ready to take the next step to give me peace of mind.

Next step: I continue to research the One Step surgery (It has been nice because I have a cousin who has already done this surgery and is full of helpful information) and I will meet with a plastic surgeon next week. Time to write down questions, get answers, make a decision on which surgery and then set a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment