Friday, October 15, 2010

The Adventure Begins

In November, 2008, I found out I was BRCA-2 positive. A month later, my mom died from breast cancer. It was a tough month and I was about to see that my life would never be the same with this new found knowledge.

My sister and I both were tested around the same time, but thank goodness, I was the only one that had it. My cousins were both tested too and only one tested positive for the gene. So far we were right with the statistics. Their mother (my mom's sister) also died from breast cancer.

Many decisions were to be made, and in the midst of grieving the loss of my mother. I remember going to the doctor and talking about the statistics for me to get breast cancer and hearing about all the screening I was to do. I teared up just thinking about how this disease MIGHT effect my life.

Exams. mammograms, breast MRIs, pelvic ultrasounds- my head was spinning as I realized how this new knowledge was about to change my life forever. I remember my first breast MRI. I was waiting at the hospital alone, not sure what this was going to be like. It was an eye-opening experience. After signing that I could die from the procedure (only a 5% chance), I walked into the room and heard the instructions. I was inside the machine and the test started. It was loud and uncomfortable. I was reminded of a conversation I had with my mom years before. I was encouraging her to get another MRI so we knew what was going on with the cancer. She didn't want to. She said it hurt. It was uncomfortable. It was loud. I had no idea and I still don't, fully. I didn't have a chest that had radiation burns all over it and cancer in it. I had NO idea what I was begging my mom to do and now I had a SMALL idea what it was like. I cried.

I also remember the first time I walked into Minnesota Oncology to meet with my new doctor (she would be monitoring me and making sure I was keeping up with my testing). I teared up as I sat in a waiting room with cancer patients and of course, one that looked like my mom. It is amazing to me how many people look like my mom now that she is in heaven. I knew things would be difficult from that day on, but I was ready to fight. Just not sure how far I should go.

My GYN encouraged me to look into prophylactic surgery and eventually having my ovaries removed. I wasn't too sure about that right away. I continued my testing and actually took a little break because it was so expensive. About a year later, I have started the process of a prophylactic mastectomy and am about to journal the whole experience. Get ready to hear it all~the good, the bad, the ugly. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment